From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:46:17
1 foser posted <1092920607.9405.23.camel@rivendell>, excerpted below, on
2 Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:03:27 +0200:
3
4 > On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 12:38 +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 >> If it makes you feel more warm and fuzzy, replace "successful" with
6 >> "used". My point, which you seem to have overlooked, was that if this
7 >> product is not being used, we should not waste the time and resources
8 >> to support it.
9 >
10 > The requirements made make it cost much more time & resources. Just
11 > point devs to the numerous free blogs & let there just be a planet alone
12 > on gentoo.org, then it will be not half as time consuming to set up I
13 > bet. You could eventually add extra's (like on-site blogs) if it works
14 > out. If it doesn't, then nobody will miss it if its gone & it will be
15 > much easier to ditch (just having the planet page gone).
16
17 As I've been reading the thread, the question that keeps occurring to me
18 is this: Given that some seem skeptical, while others are all gung ho on
19 the idea, and further given that one point repeatedly made by the
20 enthusiastic crowd is that many devs already have a blog (formerly called
21 a public or web journal), we just lack a good public listing of them all
22 (several posts have inferred the poster already has a private list), and
23 that given the public blogging sites out there, a gentoo site for those
24 currently blogless shouldn't be needed..
25
26 Why isn't someone just going ahead with an unofficial one? Collect a list
27 of all the devs with current blogs, create a planet (don't call it Gentoo
28 planet yet and violate the trademark, but a privately sponsored Gentoo
29 dev's blogging resource directory, or some such), and populate it with the
30 existing blogs. Mention it in reply to a few user questions in the forums
31 and user list, and see what happens. If the need is as great as it has
32 been made out to be, users will take it from there and it'll soon be
33 apparent that making it official would be worthwhile, making any changes
34 that have become obviously needed by that time when it IS made official.
35 If not, it'll simply languish in obscurity and eventually whoever is
36 putting the effort into it will probably take it down.
37
38 After all, it's not as if it'd be anything officially Gentoo, and with the
39 appropriate disclaimers, such a list even as a private endeavor would
40 arguably be quite useful. I'm cautiously for the general idea, tho I
41 personally don't do a lot of blog watching or the like, because I expect
42 it'll get a decent number of references on the user list and the like,
43 when people ask about the current and future direction of X ebuild, which
44 happens to have as the active dev someone with an active log page. If I
45 were into such things personally, I'd consider starting such a site
46 myself, and make that my first big contribution to Gentoo.
50 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
51 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
52 Benjamin Franklin
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list