From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:30:39
1 On Friday 23 August 2002 11:22, Gregg wrote:
2 > I run a server, it hosts 127 websites. Has many users for various other
3
4 And you really host that on a gcc 3 system ? Brave :)
5
6 > my flags in the configuration files. So it is all just i686 in the
7 > c*flags. I want to go up to an athlon 2200. So, what do I need to
8 > consider before switching them out, what do I need to do afterword . This
9 > is a 1.3b_test system with all the latest updates (except gcc 3.2, I am
10 > still on 3.1.1)
11
12 Just leave it "as is" and upgrade your hw. You can of course try to compile
13 your system with athlon optimizations afterwards but that's even more brave
14 than simply running a production system on gcc3 :)
15
16 Btw. for servers more CPUs is better than one fast CPU. Think about it: One
17 fast CPU you have to serve 2 requests. One request gets the CPU for time x
18 then the sheduler decides that the second request gets cpu time and so forth
19 until both requests are served. With 2 CPUs both requests can be served in
20 parallel (really parallel not that pseudo parallelism the sheduler gets out
21 of your one cpu).
24 Alex
27 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
28 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
29 Benjamin Franklin