From: Gregg <gregg@××.am>
To: arutha@×××.de
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:45:33
1 Lets say this is a learning experience. I feel like learning to be brave
2 than learning to be behind (why I chose gentoo over debian.) :)
3
4 Gregg
5
6 > On Friday 23 August 2002 11:22, Gregg wrote:
7 >> I run a server, it hosts 127 websites. Has many users for various
8 >> other
9 >
10 > And you really host that on a gcc 3 system ? Brave :)
11 >
12 >> my flags in the configuration files. So it is all just i686 in the
13 >> c*flags. I want to go up to an athlon 2200. So, what do I need to
14 >> consider before switching them out, what do I need to do afterword .
15 >> This is a 1.3b_test system with all the latest updates (except gcc
16 >> 3.2, I am still on 3.1.1)
17 >
18 > Just leave it "as is" and upgrade your hw. You can of course try to
19 > compile your system with athlon optimizations afterwards but that's
20 > even more brave than simply running a production system on gcc3 :)
21 >
22 > Btw. for servers more CPUs is better than one fast CPU. Think about it:
23 > One fast CPU you have to serve 2 requests. One request gets the CPU for
24 > time x then the sheduler decides that the second request gets cpu time
25 > and so forth until both requests are served. With 2 CPUs both requests
26 > can be served in parallel (really parallel not that pseudo parallelism
27 > the sheduler gets out of your one cpu).
30 > Alex
31 >
32 > --
33 > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
34 > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
35 > Benjamin Franklin
38 > gentoo-dev mailing list
39 > gentoo-dev@g.o