From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for April 23
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:42:39
1 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > So my point is that the whole of the council should consider the
3 > objections of an individual council member, so that potentially bad
4 > things don't end up accepted based on some kind of an uninformed
5 > majority vote or concensus.
8 Probably the best way to accomplish something like this is for a council
9 member to publish their no vote BEFORE the actual council meeting so
10 that there is actually time to discuss it. The actual council meeting
11 isn't really a great forum to resolve issues - there just isn't that
12 much time.
13
14 I appreciate the fact that council members are avoiding huge amounts of
15 back-and-forth on the mailing list, but waiting until the last minute
16 for a surprise "no" vote isn't helpful either.
17
18 I think one of the great things Donnie has done for the council is to
19 push the discussion into the mailing list well in advance of the
20 meeting, and to defer issues that haven't gotten properly hashed out
21 on-list. If something really needs interactive discussion that is one
22 thing, but going into a topic cold just results in a lot of "shooting
23 from the hip" and not much constructive progress.