From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer GitHub usernames
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 08:04:15
1 On 11/21/2016 12:46 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 10:01:47 +0100
4 >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Since some of our people don't want to admit they're using GitHub or
7 >>> otherwise want to pretend they're not
8 >>
9 >> Interesting how you simply can't understand that some people hate
10 >> mixing work and pleasure[1] and how you then need to ridicule what you
11 >> don't understand, Ciaran.
14 >> jer
18 >> [1] Or indeed hate using some third party's proprietary website
19 >> that has the barest possible support for managing multiple user
20 >> profiles in a single account and seems to be geared toward the Web
21 >> 2.0 or "social media" inclined.
24 > I don't see what you find offensive about mgorny's message. You're
25 > overreacting to "ridicule" that simply isn't there.
26 >
27 I can understand taking issue with the tone. Maybe it was meant to be a
28 joke, since almost everyone and their brother is on GitHub. I closed my
29 account there a while ago due to personal issues with their behavior and
30 terms. I also found that despite having access to Gentoo repositories,
31 policies regarding the treatment of the repos (at the time) wasn't
32 clear, so I never did anything in Gentoo space on GitHub to begin with
33 for fear of breaking something or pissing someone off.
34
35 I'm not sure if I'm alone on that, but yeah; without any context the
36 quote could be interpreted as a jab at people who don't use GitHub.
37 *shrug* Rather than guess about it why not ask Michał what he meant by it?
38
39 <rant>
40 A funny deficiency of GitHub is it doesn't allow for open conversations.
41 You're always forced to talk about something directly related to the
42 code, like an Issue or a Commit. Gists can be somewhat analogous to an
43 open discussion, but that strikes me as abuse of the medium.
44 Additionally, it's not a threaded format so it's hard to guess which
45 branch of conversation you're on.
46
47 Of course sometimes you *want* to focus strictly on the code, but that's
48 not how real-world organizations work. They're made of people, and most
49 people end up talking about things *around* the code that are still
50 important, like the various RFCs that we post here on the ML. None of
51 what GitHub offers is suitable for that imo.
52 </rant>
53 --
54 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
55 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
56 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6