From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer GitHub usernames
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:09:20
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 00:03:59 -0800
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > <rant>
5 > A funny deficiency of GitHub is it doesn't allow for open conversations.
6 > You're always forced to talk about something directly related to the
7 > code, like an Issue or a Commit. Gists can be somewhat analogous to an
8 > open discussion, but that strikes me as abuse of the medium.
9 > Additionally, it's not a threaded format so it's hard to guess which
10 > branch of conversation you're on.
11 >
12 > Of course sometimes you *want* to focus strictly on the code, but that's
13 > not how real-world organizations work. They're made of people, and most
14 > people end up talking about things *around* the code that are still
15 > important, like the various RFCs that we post here on the ML. None of
16 > what GitHub offers is suitable for that imo.
17 > </rant>
18
19 GitHub is a code hosting and review tool, not a forum. It's not
20 a replacement for everything ever invented.
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny
25 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>