From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer GitHub usernames
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:33:43
1 On 11/26/2016 01:08 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 00:03:59 -0800
3 > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> <rant>
6 >> A funny deficiency of GitHub is it doesn't allow for open conversations.
7 >> You're always forced to talk about something directly related to the
8 >> code, like an Issue or a Commit. Gists can be somewhat analogous to an
9 >> open discussion, but that strikes me as abuse of the medium.
10 >> Additionally, it's not a threaded format so it's hard to guess which
11 >> branch of conversation you're on.
12 >>
13 >> Of course sometimes you *want* to focus strictly on the code, but that's
14 >> not how real-world organizations work. They're made of people, and most
15 >> people end up talking about things *around* the code that are still
16 >> important, like the various RFCs that we post here on the ML. None of
17 >> what GitHub offers is suitable for that imo.
18 >> </rant>
19 >
20 > GitHub is a code hosting and review tool, not a forum. It's not
21 > a replacement for everything ever invented.
22 >
23 The GitHub guys seem to disagree with you; unless you consider custom
24 emoji support (and reactions, thumbs-up counts, etc) integral to the
25 code review process.
26
27 Since you didn't address it, what tone was intended by the quip about
28 others "pretending" to not use GitHub?
29 --
30 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
31 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
32 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6