From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer GitHub usernames
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 21:20:19
1 On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 01:33:24 -0800
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 11/26/2016 01:08 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 00:03:59 -0800
6 > > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> <rant>
9 > >> A funny deficiency of GitHub is it doesn't allow for open conversations.
10 > >> You're always forced to talk about something directly related to the
11 > >> code, like an Issue or a Commit. Gists can be somewhat analogous to an
12 > >> open discussion, but that strikes me as abuse of the medium.
13 > >> Additionally, it's not a threaded format so it's hard to guess which
14 > >> branch of conversation you're on.
15 > >>
16 > >> Of course sometimes you *want* to focus strictly on the code, but that's
17 > >> not how real-world organizations work. They're made of people, and most
18 > >> people end up talking about things *around* the code that are still
19 > >> important, like the various RFCs that we post here on the ML. None of
20 > >> what GitHub offers is suitable for that imo.
21 > >> </rant>
22 > >
23 > > GitHub is a code hosting and review tool, not a forum. It's not
24 > > a replacement for everything ever invented.
25 > >
26 > The GitHub guys seem to disagree with you; unless you consider custom
27 > emoji support (and reactions, thumbs-up counts, etc) integral to the
28 > code review process.
29
30 Excuse me but how are your visual feelings even remotely related to
31 the topic at hand? If you want to troll GitHub, please find
32 an appropriate forum to do so, and don't spam the mailing list.
33
34 > Since you didn't address it, what tone was intended by the quip about
35 > others "pretending" to not use GitHub?
36
37 I'm not going to reply to your provocation.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny
42 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>