From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jer@g.o
Subject: Re: How to find a mentor, WAS: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 18:44:41
1 On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 19:29:30 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > someone who is very excited, very dedicated, and completely unable
5 > > to find a mentor. That is where I was for a long time, no one
6 > > seemed to have the time to mentor me.
7 >
8 > Your recruitment bug disagrees with you here in that you had a mentor
9 > right from the start.
10
11 The recruitment bug is filed by the mentor; the bug on it own marks the
12 time at which a mentor is willing to mentor the mentee, but it does
13 not reflect the time at which he started to look for a mentor.
14
15 > I don't see any mail on gentoo-dev or gentoo-project either.
16
17 This makes me wonder if that is a good or bad idea; on the one hand, it
18 would be nice to see a mentee step up and look for a mentor on the MLs
19 but on the other hand that might result in some noise. After all, the
20 relation between a mentor and a mentee is from person to person; and
21 not from person to list. It's not really a discussion; so, I don't
22 feel like it necessarily belongs on the MLs, unless as announcement.
23
24 Even if this were considered a good idea, then how would we get people
25 to advertise themselves on the mailing lists?
26
27 There seem to be two things we need to think about:
28
29 1. Where do people find the information on how to find a mentor?
30
31 2. Where do we want people to look for a mentor?
32
33 But that's one side of the story; the other side has the same
34 questions, but at least has an answer. Mentors find the a mentee (eg.
35 nice bug reporter) between a lot of people (eg. all bug reporters); so,
36 it's like finding signal in a lot of noise. What we need on this other
37 side, might be better tools to find outstanding users; but that on
38 their own take some time to implement and might not gain much.
39
40 So, I'm rooting for having a central list where mentors and mentees can
41 find each other; I think that that would give the best of both worlds.
42
43 > The netmon@g.o alias never saw mail from you before your recruitment
44 > bug was openend, so how could anyone have known you were trying to
45 > attract a mentor and do netmon stuff?
46 >
47 > ...
48 >
49 > There are exactly *nill* bugs that you reported and were
50 > (subsequently) CC'd or Assigned to netmon@g.o.
51
52 Not everyone wants to immediately start out on a herd.
53
54 > You have only yourself to blame.
55
56 Since when did this become a game of blame with him?
59 With kind regards,
60
61 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
62 Gentoo Developer
63
64 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
65 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
66 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D