From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
Cc: Stuart Stegall <stuart@×××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-desktop] X freezing?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:51:01
1 [yeah, it went to the wrong list, but I might as well address the issues
2 involved...]
3
4 On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:05:37AM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
5 > On Thursday 28 October 2004 1:53 am, you wrote:
6 > > Are they sysfs design flaws or udev design flaws. The reason I ask, is
7 > > that a bunch of kernel developers were talking about rewriting the
8 > > current hotplug/udev system.
9
10 No we were not.
11
12 > sysfs works great. I use it regardless of udev. The main problem is that udev
13 > defeats the entire purpose of modules. Using udev, you must preload any
14 > modules you want to use manually. If you do that, you might as well compile
15 > them into your kernel. I'd much rather not have the driver for any of my
16 > devices loaded until I actually need them.
17
18 See the udev FAQ for the answers to this question. In short, no, udev
19 does NOT "defeat the entire purpose of modules." Geesh, where do people
20 get ideas like this from...
21
22 > > But they would still be using sysfs. Also I am curious as to what "new" USB
23 > > Mass Storage driver you are referring to? The current mainstream kernel's
24 > > driver was updated about 4 months ago, and still presents itself as a low
25 > > level scsi driver to the kernel (meaning it needs scsi.ko and sd.ko)
26 >
27 > Well, I noticed they were suddenly "udX" when I moved to 2.6.9...
28
29 "ubX", not "udX". And that happened because you selected the block UB
30 driver. So you asked the kernel to do this, nothing "sudden" about it
31 at all.
32
33 > Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I tested 2.6.9 w/o udev, so it
34 > might have been a udev naming thing that I just assumed meant the
35 > device was a USB disk (w/o emulation)... Either way, it didn't work
36 > very well for me (e.g. I couldn't use my IDE->USB adaptor).
37
38 Stick with the usb-storage driver if you don't like the ub driver. It's
39 not for everyone (as the documentation for the driver states.)
40
41 Good luck,
42
43 greg k-h