From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL switch-over progress
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 16:23:46
1 On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 > I assume there are developers hard
3 > at work adding the flag to each and every package.
4
5 Keep in mind that it isn't always a drop-in replacement. If it were
6 we'd just make a virtual for libssl and you wouldn't need to mess with
7 flags at all.
8
9 Some upstreams may support libressl quickly, some might support it
10 more slowly, and some may or may not ever support it. So, I suspect
11 that this will look a lot like trying to switch over to libav - you
12 might have to change what applications you're using in some cases if
13 you really want to do it. As with libav you may see one library or
14 the other "win" in the end which should make things simpler, but I
15 suspect that in the meantime there may be a lot of bundling/etc.
16
17 When changes require patches and upstream hasn't committed to merging
18 them, that creates a potential maintenance burden and if package
19 maintainers aren't willing to undertake this then we should probably
20 figure out how that is going to work, unless we just plan to ignore
21 these packages for now.
22
23 If it is just a matter of sticking a simple sed in an ebuild and the
24 libressl team doesn't mind dealing with rare breakage that is probably
25 less of an issue.
28 Rich