From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:09:05
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, grub:0 only half-way updates itself; there is a > large ewarn telling the user that they must take action to install the > new version in the MBR. This seems a bit broken to me.
In what way. As far as I can tell I haven't gotten a grub upgrade in the last 5-7 years. Since it is built static on amd64 (or at least it was when I last installed it) nothing ever breaks. Maybe if I changed my boot partition to a different filesystem it might have issues, but grub just strikes me as one of those aint-broke-don't-fix things. By all means push out the new version, make docs, ewarn the user and all that. I just don't see the point in having something messing with the MBR unless it is more likely to break if we don't. Rich