From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] include files question
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:00:42
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Putting another includedir is even worse kind of band-aid.
3
4 By using the expression band-aid I wasn't commenting on the virtues
5 of having the include file in /usr/include.
6
7 The expression "rip off the band-aid" is an idiom in english which
8 refers to minimizing the duration of unpleasantness by making a
9 change quickly and with determination.
12 > If we're to put them in a directory, I'd rather require
13 > 'more complete' includes, like:
14 >
15 > #include <openrc/rc.h>
16
17 Consider installs into non-/usr prefixes. It's true that this may not
18 be so much of a concern since openrc is mostly Gentoo-specific though.
21 > Otherwise, you're just fighting conflicts in the scope of a single
22 > application.
23
24 There are two benefits of mandating use of pkg-config; one is that
25 openrc will just work<tm> on odd platforms such as OS X package
26 managers where the install prefix isn't included in the platform
27 compiler's include search path, the other is that the API can be
28 versioned trivially, allowing different versions to be installed
29 at the same time.
32 //Peter