From: Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Virtual for awk implementation
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 00:12:31
1 Hi,
2
3 recently I stumbled across a problem with mawk, which is apprearly
4 Ubuntu's default awk interpreter.
5 This brought the idea to my mind of adding a virtual for awk. Beside
6 the fact that we already have 3 awk interpreters in gx86 (gawk, mawk
7 and busybox awk), there are other ones like nawk and awka.
8
9 I had some discussions with spanKY on that topic in bug #415689, which
10 summarizes in the following:
11
12 Advantages:
13 - mawk is faster - useful for scientific purposes
14 - busybox awk could replace gawk on minimal systems
15 - more POSIX conform systems
16
17 Disadvantages:
18 - some awk code in the tree and portage is probably using GNU
19 extensions without executing gawk explicitly
20 - gray zone of Posix 1003.2 (e.g. substr() function and an index of 0)
21
22 What we would need:
23 - virtual/awk
24 - app-admin/eselect-awk (version available in cj-overlay)
25 and
26 - testing and migration of existing packages using gawk
27 <http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/genrdeps/rindex/sys-apps/gawk>
28 and
29 <http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/genrdeps/dindex/sys-apps/gawk>
30 to name a few.
31
32 I have tested mawk as default interpreter for a while on my x86 boxes
33 and didn't observed any problems so far.
34
35 Cheers,
36
37 Christoph