From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new local USE var: vim-with-x
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:12:16
1 On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:05:21PM +0200, Björn Lindström wrote:
2 > That's easy to fix. Just let "emerge vim" with USE=X install
3 > /usr/bin/vim as a text mode vim _and_ /usr/bin/(g|k)vim as the GUI
4 > version.
5
6 But, vim with X is NOT the same as (g|k)vim. The latter is a graphical
7 GUI while the former is a terminalbased, but has X hooks.
8
9 > I still think this is ugly. If you asked for X support, you get it.
10 > What's so strange about that?
11
12 It seems that in some circumstances, DISPLAY is set when you login,
13 even if you have no X running. This causes vim to think that there ARE
14 some instance of X running, and thus it fails to start.
15
16 It seems related to ssh, and I think the problem is really there. If
17 'unset DISPLAY' works, as someone in this thread mentioned, it's a
18 much better solution than the vim-with-x flag.
19
20 //H
23 To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list