From: "Björn Lindström" <bkhl@×××××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: new local USE var: vim-with-x
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:05:24
1 Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [20030429 08:36]:
2 > Because if you build vim with X in your use flags and you try and run
3 > "vim" from a non-X console or a console ssh session it wont run! I
4 > have had to stuff around compiling vim with USE="-X" with two machines
5 > now so I could fix other problems from a console remote login.
6
7 That's easy to fix. Just let "emerge vim" with USE=X install
8 /usr/bin/vim as a text mode vim _and_ /usr/bin/(g|k)vim as the GUI
9 version.
10
11 > vim should default to -X unless overidden specifically and locally.
12 > Note that you do want X support for most other apps though, so
13 > honouring a global USE is not a good idea for vim..
14
15 I still think this is ugly. If you asked for X support, you get it.
16 What's so strange about that?
19 Björn Lindström <bkhl@×××××××××××××.se>
20 Home page: http://hem.fyristorg.com/bkhl/
21 Blog: http://bkhl.livejournal.com/