From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new local USE var: vim-with-x
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:51:28
1 Strange - plenty! vim is a console program and gvim and kvim are X
2 based - so until I had a failure and needed a pure console vim, I didnt
3 know this would occur. True you can compile vim with X hooks, but why
4 in a console based program?, when it means that on a system that has
5 failed i.e., see how many (including me!) people have had X failures
6 when installing xfree-4.3. vim is my fallback editor for when gvim isnt
7 available, and all of a sudden, it fails right when I need it most!
8
9 Perhaps we need a 4th package to keep the frustrated X types happy -
10 vim-with-x, rather than a USE variable which is just not up to this
11 task. Then everyone can install the vim that suits them, e.g., vim,
12 xvim, kvim and gvim.
13
14 BillK