From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:11:39
1 On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It doesn't matter, there is a problem here which needs to be addressed.
4 > I'm complaining because we need to fix a problem in our workflow. It
5 > sounds like K_F is working on a glep for that, which I applaud.
8 Is everybody here at least agreed that this particular situation was
9 not handled well? That was my sense of it earlier in the thread, but
10 it seems like we're trying to argue over whether it was.
11
12 If so, then let's move forward with better policy/etc. One-offs don't
13 concern me much. However, it seems pretty obvious to me that if a
14 typical package is suspected of creating a world-readable log file the
15 reaction shouldn't be to mask it before talking to the maintainer.
16 About the only thing that should warrant something like that is
17 something like an sshd bug that lets arbitrary remote attackers
18 connect as arbitrary users without authentication, and then the
19 solution shouldn't be just a mask, but also some kind of immediate
20 announcement (which is something we lack - we issue GLSAs sometimes
21 ages after something is fixed on x86/amd64). Granted, that should be
22 news enough that people are getting the message in other ways unless
23 it is Gentoo-specific.
24
25 I believe we already have a security severity classification system of
26 some kind with targeted response times, so maybe we can tie policy
27 into that?
28
29 Like I said, one mistake doesn't make a trend, and we shouldn't
30 over-react to a mistake. However, the way to handle a mistake is for
31 everybody to say "this was a mistake," not "you're the only person who
32 has a problem with this." Let's just fix whatever broke (if it isn't
33 already fixed) and move on. We don't need to defend mistakes.
36 Rich