From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 14:49:34
1 On 7/6/16 8:11 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Like I said, one mistake doesn't make a trend, and we shouldn't
3 > over-react to a mistake. However, the way to handle a mistake is for
4 > everybody to say "this was a mistake," not "you're the only person who
5 > has a problem with this." Let's just fix whatever broke (if it isn't
6 > already fixed) and move on. We don't need to defend mistakes.
7
8 +1
9
10 So what we don't want happening again moving forward is where a
11 developer (me in this case) thinks he's provided the information needed
12 for security, then the bug goes dormant 3 years, and then out of the
13 blue a p.mask with 30 days notice until removal. Especially if it the
14 security issue is minor.
15
16 The security@g.o list has 500+ open bugs going back years. We don't
17 want this uncertainty to loom over all developers heads. A reasonable
18 policy here would help create clear expectations for security and other
19 developers.
20
21 I don't think I need to add more to this since K_F appears to be working
22 on something that will address this.
25 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
26 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
27 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
28 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
29 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA