From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Session/.desktop WM compatibility, DM unification
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:55:59
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 >> GDM has had just its own Xsession for a long time iirc. I think most
3 >> functionality provided by these other X* files are login manager (xdm?)
4 >> specific. The one real issue is Xsession.
5 > Can anyone comment regarding entrance or any other DMs?
6
7 Yeah, I can comment - using e17 here. entrance (the CVS version) is
8 broken :P and doesn't read/use any of them, you need to point it
9 manually via ecore_config to the session file where you put all the
10 commands you want to start. Also, its default config is broken for e17
11 because it points to /usr/bin/enlightenment while the actual binary is
12 called enlightenment-0.17. Oh well, that's what you get with live cvs
13 ebuilds. ;)
14
15 The desktop files are a real mess: e17genmenu reads a couple of
16 predefined locations automatically, otherwise you have to point it to an
17 unexpected location manually if you want those desktop items added.
18 Right now I have .desktop files scattered in:
19
20 /usr/share/applications
21 /usr/share/applnk/<category>
22 /usr/kde/<version>/share/applications/kde
23
24 (The last one is something I'd really like to get rid of completely.)
25
26 I'm avoiding gnome apps as much as possible, but there's definitely a
27 gnome-specific location for those as well. Benefit from this mess?
28 Negative for me, captain. Please, standardize this.
29
30 The same goes for icons locations - openoffice-bin installs png icons to
31 /usr/share/pixmaps (?!), firefox-bin installs icons to
32 /opt/firefox/icons, thunderbird-bin installs icons to
33 /opt/thunderbird/icons which might seem right but allas nothing can find
34 the icons in there and .desktop files are in /usr/share/applications anyway.
35
36 There are issues w/ mime-types etc. as well, but this mail is getting
37 long as it is, so leaving that for another one, perhaps.
41 Best regards,
42
43 Jakub Moc
44 mailto:jakub@g.o
45 GPG signature:
46 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
47 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
48
49 ... still no signature ;)