From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] genkernel 3.4.11.1 released
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:06:50
1 On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:57:46 +0100
2 Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/20/11 21:45, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Fabian Groffen
6 > > <grobian@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be
8 > >> announced on these developer-related lists.
9 > >
10 > > Tend to agree, at least in general. If a genkernel upgrade impacted
11 > > multiple teams/etc, such as requiring changes to install media, or
12 > > the handbooks, etc, then I'd consider it completely fair game for
13 > > the lists. Likewise if some big change that will really impact the
14 > > distro is being considered I'd consider that fair game as well.
15 >
16 > Fair point.
17 >
18 > I'll keep posting to Planet Gentoo. How about gentoo-dev-announce?
19
20 Version bumps have no place on the dev-announce list /unless/ they
21 impact developers' work directly. It's described as "Gentoo
22 development-specific announcements list". So what you post there is
23 relevant to Gentoo development work. More or less like Fabian said it,
24 if it requires changes or else it will break the distro, that's when
25 you give all developers the heads-up (and not because you want to
26 celebrate the glory of another version release).
29 jer