From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Permission to add a dummy package in tree
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:18:15
1 On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:07:09 +0100
3 > Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> these days I am working on a puppet module for portage. For testing I
6 >> have created a dummy package which can be found here [1]. The package
7 >> installs files based on useflags, and it comes in stable, testing and
8 >> hardmasked versions, plus it has some useflag changes between
9 >> versions. With this package I can make sure that the puppet provider
10 >> does its various operations fine. I'm about to start writing unit
11 >> tests for that provider, and I would like to use that package for the
12 >> testing. It would be preferred to move that package in tree though.
13 >> Since the ebuilds are useless for everybody else, and maybe violate
14 >> policy about the stable tree, I'd like to know if there are any
15 >> objections to move it to tree. If there are none, I'll move it in one
16 >> month
17 >>
18 >> [1] https://github.com/gentoo-el/overlay/tree/master/app-misc/dummy
19 >
20 > To be honest, I don't mind having dummy packages in the tree. I would
21 > be happy to convert gentoopm sometime to use them instead of relying on
22 > random packages to match its criteria.
23 >
24 > However, I'd rather see them in a special category, and preferably
25 > prefixed with 'gentoo-' to make it least possible for any kind of name
26 > collisions.
27 >
28 > --
29 > Best regards,
30 > Michał Górny
33 If there are more dummy packages then a separate category seems good
34 idea (and thanks for that), but if mine is the only case then i don't
35 see a reason for that
36
37 Theo