From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Question on SLOTting libraries
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:12:54
1 Hi all-
2
3 I've googled and RTFM for "SLOTS" which from what I can tell is this paragraph:
4
5 With Portage different versions of a single package can coexist on a
6 system. While other distributions tend to name their package to those
7 versions (like freetype and freetype2) Portage uses a technology
8 called SLOTs. An ebuild declares a certain SLOT for its version.
9 Ebuilds with different SLOTs can coexist on the same system. For
10 instance, the freetype package has ebuilds with SLOT="1" and SLOT="2".
11 [1]
12
13 My question is how do other packages that build against a slotted
14 library know where to find the library? And how does one indicate
15 which version to link against?
16
17 Could someone explain what is happening behind the scenes?
18
19 thanks
20
21 -matt