From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Upgrade Guide and EAPI
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:32:02
1 "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> writes:
2
3 > While I'm not nearly good enough to detail how this should happen
4 > exactly, please, may I beg, do an eclass revision for this.
5
6 There is an r1 candidate as Paweł initiated (bug 474358)
7
8 > The fact that this hasn't been done clearly implies it is a lot of
9 > work. Let's not risk stable, let's simply make toolchain-r1.eclass or
10 > whatever, and bump that to eapi5. At the end of the day, this allows
11 > working and testing without odd issues, and if everyone really hates
12 > that idea you can simply drop the changes into the original eclass
13 > when it's all done.
14
15 Having a unstable eclass as toolchain-r1.eclass in tree might not be a
16 good idea compared to an overlay though.
17
18 Regarding eclass, I have a question: Why do we keep all old versions of
19 gcc and glibc? If the point is only being upgradable from old Gentoo, is
20 the requirement lefted now? If it is for users who need a specific
21 version of gcc/glibc, why don't we create a toolchain-archive overlay
22 for that purpose? In the overlay we can have historical snapshots of
23 toolchain.eclass, too.
24
25 Keeping only a few version of gcc in tree will ease the maintenance of
26 toolchain eclass a lot.
27
28 Benda