From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Upgrade Guide and EAPI
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:42:58
1 On 9/30/13 1:31 AM, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
2 > Having a unstable eclass as toolchain-r1.eclass in tree might not be a
3 > good idea compared to an overlay though.
4
5 If that's the case, it should be pretty straightforward to create an
6 overlay with that eclass, either under toolchain-r1 or just
7 toolchain.eclass name.
8
9 > Regarding eclass, I have a question: Why do we keep all old versions of
10 > gcc and glibc? If the point is only being upgradable from old Gentoo, is
11 > the requirement lefted now? If it is for users who need a specific
12 > version of gcc/glibc, why don't we create a toolchain-archive overlay
13 > for that purpose? In the overlay we can have historical snapshots of
14 > toolchain.eclass, too.
15
16 I think that idea is worth exploring.
17
18 > Keeping only a few version of gcc in tree will ease the maintenance of
19 > toolchain eclass a lot.
20
21 +1
22