From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1?
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 02:47:10
1 On 16:46 Fri 31 Dec , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 12/31/10 12:13 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 > > EAPI 0 might stick around for quite a while but for example deprecating
4 > > EAPI 1 shouldn't be as hard.
5 >
6 > That seems also to be a safe first step. EAPI-1 ebuilds were at least
7 > written with EAPIs in mind. That's obviously not true for EAPI-0.
8 >
9 > We could even deprecate EAPI-2 in favor of EAPI-3, hmmm....
10 >
11 > I think a repoman non-fatal warning would be fine. If we have a warning
12 > about forcing -j1, we can surely have one about ancient EAPIs.
13
14 I'm in favor of documenting things such that the latest EAPI is the
15 standard and others are backwards diffs based on it, shifted to
16 appendices or somewhere out of the way. This will encourage people to
17 easily use the latest developments rather than trying to build up a
18 mental stack of added and removed features across multiple levels.
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie
23
24 Donnie Berkholz