From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:02:20
1 On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Seeing the noise in #gentoo from people getting whacked in the kidney by
4 > the systemd sidegrade ... that's a very optimistic decision.
5
6 Yes it is, because our policy has always been to follow upstream as
7 much as possible. So your sarcasm is not fun.
10 > It'll cause lots of pain for users that suddenly can't start lvm
11 > properly and other nasty landmines hidden in the "upgrade path". By
12 > stabilizing this early you're causing lots of extra work for others.
13
14 How much time did you spend on trying to make GNOME 3.8 work with openrc?
15 Because I spent so much that I ended up suggesting the GNOME team to
16 require systemd.
17 And systemd is the only thing that at this time, properly works with
18 current and future GNOME releases. And GNOME 3.8 is at this time, only
19 fully working with systemd (fully: if you don't think you need to be
20 able to shutdown your computer and have proper session management...
21 well, I'd remove the "fully" word myself.)
22
23 Moreover, the lvm problem is caused by a very ancient and ill decision
24 about doing what upstream tells you to avoid: have mdev in the
25 initramfs and udev on the final pivot rooted system. This was just
26 looking for troubles but the smarties at the time decided that they
27 knew better... And now, tadam, the bug is served...
28 People can use genkernel-next, which comes with _proper_ udev support
29 (see --udev).
32 > I hope you understand that some of us will be very rude and just suggest
33 > to unmerge gnome on all support requests as it now moves outside our
34 > support range ...
35 >
36 > Have a nice day,
37 >