From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:40:51
1 On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:20:10 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2015-01-26, o godz. 12:41:00
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:35:39 +0100
8 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > Title: CPU_FLAGS_X86 introduction
11 > > > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
12 > > > Content-Type: text/plain
13 > > > Posted: 2015-01-xx
14 > > > Revision: 1
15 > > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
16 > > > Display-If-Keyword: amd64 ~amd64 x86 ~x86
17 > >
18 > > but.... why ?
19 > > will you write another news item for other arches ?
20 >
21 > Are there other arches using CPU_FLAGS_X86? ;) But seriously, the item
22 > is quite arch-specific. Other arches are likely to have kinda specific
23 > flags with rules for choosing them, another script etc.
24
25 I think it is better to have it done all in one pass: even if there is
26 no script, it is just as good as it is today.
27
28 My concern is: This will clutter e.g. ffmpeg ebuild by having two ways
29 to pass cpu flags, depending on the arch, and will give a kind of silly
30 output with "altivec" or "neon" as standard useflags but x86 cpu flags
31 as USE_EXPAND. This is too much inconsistent to me.
34 > > > Most of the flag
35 > > > names match /proc/cpuinfo names, with the notable exception of
36 > > > SSE3 which is called 'pni' in /proc/cpuinfo (please also do not
37 > > > confuse it with distinct SSSE3).
38 > >
39 > > IMHO this is too much into details but I don't really mind.
40 >
41 > I just recall it's a frequent issue, people missing SSE3 and mixing it
42 > up with SSSE3.
43
44 Yep; I don't think this kind of obvious and not new warning belongs to a
45 _news_ item but that's up to you.
46
47 Alexis.