From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:20:38
1 Dnia 2015-01-26, o godz. 12:41:00
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:35:39 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Title: CPU_FLAGS_X86 introduction
8 > > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
9 > > Content-Type: text/plain
10 > > Posted: 2015-01-xx
11 > > Revision: 1
12 > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
13 > > Display-If-Keyword: amd64 ~amd64 x86 ~x86
14 >
15 > but.... why ?
16 > will you write another news item for other arches ?
17
18 Are there other arches using CPU_FLAGS_X86? ;) But seriously, the item
19 is quite arch-specific. Other arches are likely to have kinda specific
20 flags with rules for choosing them, another script etc.
21
22 > > When in doubt, please consult the profiles/desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
23 > > file available in the Gentoo repository checkout.
24 >
25 > usually we don't point people at reading profiles or ebuilds
26 > directly; maybe 'equery uses' ?
27
28 I guess that kinda works. So far 'quse -D mmx' has the nicest output
29 but I don't want people to rely on portage-utils.
30
31 > > Most of the flag
32 > > names match /proc/cpuinfo names, with the notable exception of SSE3
33 > > which is called 'pni' in /proc/cpuinfo (please also do not confuse it
34 > > with distinct SSSE3).
35 >
36 > IMHO this is too much into details but I don't really mind.
37
38 I just recall it's a frequent issue, people missing SSE3 and mixing it
39 up with SSSE3.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny