From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] src_configure
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:30:06
1 On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:14:55PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Sven Wegener wrote: [Wed Jul 06 2005, 08:04:04PM EDT]
3 > > I'm writing this mail to bring you a thought we had over on freenode
4 > > in the #gentoo-portage channel. We would like to split up
5 > > src_compile. The new src_configure should just do the econf part and
6 > > src_compile should do the emake part. This represents the general
7 > > 3-step[1] installation in a much better way.
8 >
9 > This would be great in that it would be possible to do:
10 >
11 > ebuild blah.ebuild configure
12 >
13 > then change to the directory and work on it. But the other side of
14 > the coin is that you're talking about a LOT of ebuild changes, right?
15
16 Yes, but please see my EBUILD_FORMAT mail on how we'll provide backward
17 compatibility. It boils down to set EBUILD_FORMAT to the right value and
18 portage knows that the ebuild uses src_configure in addition to
19 src_compile. As we need to touch ebuilds for the src_configure change we
20 can also add the EBUILD_FORMAT variable in one go. If EBUILD_FORMAT is
21 unset, just use old behaviour.
22
23 Sven
26 Sven Wegener