From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Local bindist descriptions
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:02:52
1 On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:07:04 +0100
2 Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 30/12/12 13:15, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
8 > > I see his point that emerge will sort of imply what does bindist
9 > > do, but it requires running emerge several times with different USE
10 > > flag combinations, while just writing a small explanation wouldn't
11 > > hurt and would save a lot of time.
12 > You can't check in advance what's going on except for maybe reading
13 > the ebuild.
14
15 Maybe you could suggest a nice beforehand UI for REQUIRED_USE
16 constraints.
17
18 > If you happen to have the constraints satisfied for some
19 > reason, you will never even get an error.
20
21 Meaning you can redistribute the binary.
22
23 > Furthermore, just *why* is
24 > the constraint there? Patent infringement? Licence incompatibility?
25
26 Because you can't redistribute the binary if the constraint is not
27 satisfied :)
28
29 > Etc. ffmpeg is like the holy grail of local bindist descriptions.
30
31 bindist does absolutely nothing by itself there. do you really want a
32 description like "Enforces license compatibility constraints" ?
33 I consider this a subset of the current bindist description. If you
34 don't then maybe the bindist description should be updated.
35
36 A.