From: Olav Vitters <olav@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: release-team@×××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:41:55
1 [ Apologies for replying so late
2
3 I am not intending to startup the discussion regarding systemd ]
4
5 On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:36:47AM +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
6 > For the record we did and still do support setups that upstream does not
7 > care about.
8 > * In the past, we had policykit/polkit optional, we had to stop that
9 > since it is now too tied in to be decently maintained at our level
10 > * We had pulseaudio optional, again, this is now over in some of the
11 > core components of Gnome, but we do keep it optional were possible
12 > * We maintain networkmanager and bluetooth support optional, and this
13 > has been the case since 3.2 iirc even though upstream flat out refuses
14 > to merge our perfectly fine patches
15
16 Feel free to cc release-team@×××××.org on such patches. I am not saying
17 something would change, however, Bluetooth is optional in gnome-shell
18 (though in 3.9.x it crashed if you disabled it). Seems a bit strange to
19 have it optional in one place, forced in another.
20
21 > Keeping systemd optional in Gnome cannot be achieved by the Gentoo Gnome
22 > team. If someone comes up with a solution to have logind without
23 > systemd, we will gladly include it but remember that a few devs (4/5
24 > afaik) already tried and sadly failed.
25
26 Intention was not to force systemd. It just seems to have ended up that
27 way. The various times I asked there has been a lot of work going on
28 into supporting non-systemd configurations as changes are made. However,
29 that work is mostly untested and likely buggy (things needs to be used).
30 I thought the work was good enough (though knew that Debian would go
31 with requiring systemd as a dependency)
32
33 It seems that for Wayland support we somehow do need to require logind
34 (I forgot why exactly, though I do have IRC logs somewhere). At the
35 moment that seems unlikely to change. I'm planning to write a proper
36 message about this to distributor-list.
37
38 As development goes on, more and more does indeed depend on systemd.
39 However, if I look at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ConsoleKit/log/, most
40 of the development was made by people involved in GNOME. There are no
41 recent development for at least 1.5 year. The intention is not to force
42 things, but seems rather logical the way it ends up.
43
44 Most of the development was done within ConsoleKit, now mostly done
45 within systemd. It would be nice if the logind part was optional like it
46 was initially, but I don't know if that would still be a no-go for
47 Gentoo. E.g. does it have to be ConsoleKit, or is a logind also ok? Note
48 that Ubuntu is going with Qt, so I don't expect them to do much
49 development on keeping logind separate from systemd.
50
51 It seems a bit weird that although work is done to ensure systemd is
52 optional, in the end just a systemd dependency is taken (Debian,
53 Gentoo).
54
55 ---> Not trying to start this up again. <---
59 Regards,
60 Olav