From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] systemd profiles
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:27:16
1 On Friday, August 29, 2014 10:41:51 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
3 wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > I have a simple question: why do we have systemd subprofiles only in gnome
7 > > and kde profiles?
8 > >
9 > > Could we add systemd subprofiles also to default/linux/$arch/13.0/ and
10 > > desktop (and any other profiles where it makes sense)?
11 > I'm not sure systemd profiles actually make that much sense these
12 > days. To install systemd from a stage3 you basically just need to set
13 > USE=systemd and do an emerge -uDN world. We're actually getting close
14 > to the point where you would pick an init system the way you pick a
15 > kernel or cron implementation during install.
16
17 Not sure if this idea has been discussed before, but:
18 Wouldn't it be an idea to have a "virtual/init" which depends on 1 of:
19 - OpenRC
20 - Systemd
21 - ..... (whichever other one)
22
23 Put "virtual/init" in the @system-set.
24 Don't put either OpenRC or Systemd in the stage3-file. (Or have 2 stage3
25 files, one with OpenRC and one with Systemd)
26 Then, during the install, the user has to choose one of these and install it.
27
28 The virtual could even use the "systemd" USE-flag to decide which one to use.
31 Joost