From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request for feedback on GNU Patch change
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:58:44
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 17-09-2008 10:41:07 +0200, "C. Bergström" wrote:
3 >
4 >>> By the way, I'm against this stuff. I rather see a PATH solution
5 >>> involved. Portage already has a DEFAULT_PATH, and if someone refuses to
6 >>> install patch, one could always use a special directory with symlinks to
7 >>> the g-versions, e.g. patch -> /usr/sfw/bin/gpatch such that
8 >>> Portage/eclass/ebuilds don't have to bother about this at all.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> patch is installed and I would agree with you, but in certain
12 >> circumstances using the GNU tools are broken.
15 > Then if that is the case, Portage/eclass/ebuild relies on that
16 > brokenness. I'm not saying you should have the same PATH as Portage.
17 >
18 GNU tools always behaved as expected on Linux. The brokeness is
19 platform specific in my case. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you use Solaris
20 in production and I'm just trying to make the situation easier. If
21 someone will review the patch I'll make it up, but don't want to waste
22 more of anyone's time on this.
23
24 Thanks