From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, devmanual@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: devmanual moved to github
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:45:09
1 On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:08:21PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
5 > > This is the kind of policies that kill user contributions. I am very
6 > > sad to witness this once again.
9 > I have mixed feelings for this very reason. The concept of accepting
10 > contributions on github is an EXCELLENT one. The problem is that it
11 > is proprietary, which creates division, and could potentially create
12 > problems down the road (no way to know - the sorts of things that can
13 > happen anytime you depend on proprietary software).
14
15 If github were to go down, all you would have to do is use a command
16 similar to the one given in the first message of this thread to switch
17 upstream to another location. I would argue that there really isn't a
18 hard dependency on github in the same way there would be if they were
19 using some centralized vcs such as svn.
20
21 I think this is a pretty weak argument for systems that use distributed
22 vcs's like git.
23
24 > > I will take care of the github mirroring myself. For those who will
25 > > merge pull requests on github, please take extra care to resolve the
26 > > merges properly.
29 > So, first, THANK YOU!
30
31 If we are going to take this stance, should we consider removing all
32 packages from the tree that have their upstream on github?
33
34 William