From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, devmanual@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: devmanual moved to github
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 17:51:11
1 On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > If we are going to take this stance, should we consider removing all
4 > packages from the tree that have their upstream on github?
7 Considering that we allow even outright proprietary software in
8 portage which isn't distributed at all (copy file from CD to
9 distfiles), we're obviously not going to be concerned about upstreams
10 on github.
11
12 Gentoo's social contract is GENTOO'S social contract. It governs what
13 we do, and it doesn't say that we don't accept proprietary software.
14 It says that we won't DEPEND on proprietary software for our
15 operations or for anything essential to using Gentoo.
16
17 As I already said - I think Github is a gray area. I'd like to see us
18 working on an internal workflow tool that is friendly to outsiders
19 like Gerrit or whatever. I'd see Github as a useful alternative, or
20 as an interim solution, but I'd really hate to establish it as the
21 long-term repository for something that is part of Gentoo without
22 actively pursuing plans to move it to an FOSS platform. That's just
23 my personal opinion though - others really don't want to touch it at
24 all, and I can't fault them too much since it is contrary to our
25 social contract. I'm a pragmatist, but I am charged with helping to
26 uphold the social contract as a Trustee, and right now there is no
27 official FOSS long-term solution.
28
29 On the list of threats to the org though, I think that getting our
30 main repository onto git in the first place is a higher priority than
31 adopting tools like Gerrit/Github/etc. Right now most of what is left
32 on that project rests on infra, so I don't want to beat up on them
33 over not wanting to take on Java/etc.
34
35 Rich