From: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:38:42
1 On za, 2012-06-23 at 17:08 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > > Is it that Paludis installs a newer SLOT even if a reverse
4 > dependency
5 > > explicitly requests another SLOT? Sounds like a bug to me.
6 >
7 > No, it's that if a user requests a "complete" resolution, Paludis
8 > installs the newest version of things that it can. Extensive
9 > consultation with users has shown that this is a good behaviour,
10 > except
11 > in the small number of situations that have recently arisen where
12 > people are doing weird things with versions and slots.
13
14 It surprises me that this behavior is normally desirable for packages
15 where all dependencies (including any in the world set or the like) are
16 slotted. The first example that comes to mind here is gtk+: if all
17 packages a user has installed that depend on gtk+ explicitly depend on
18 slot 2 (which is probably uncommon now but reasonable back when gtk 3
19 was introduced), and they do not have gtk+ in their world file (which is
20 reasonable), do your users really expect the package manager to install
21 gtk 3? If your package manager has a feature similar to emerge
22 --depclean, shouldn't this then suggest immediately removing it again,
23 as nothing depends on it?
24
25 I would argue that library versions that can be installed side-by-side,
26 like gtk+ 2 and 3, "fit the traditional way of how slots worked". But I
27 think automatically pulling in the latest and greatest version of such a
28 library only makes sense if code written against the old library stands
29 a chance of making use of the new library. It might make sense to add a
30 way to inform your package manager if pulling in new slots by default is
31 useful, but I would prefer to give this a more obvious name than
32 "funky-slots", and to come up with a better approach for deciding
33 whether or not the property should be set than "is SLOTS being used for
34 something "clever" or not". I would also suggest that the default should
35 be to *not* pull in new slots by default, but perhaps some review of how
36 slotting is most commonly used would help decide on that.
39 Marien Zwart