From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 14:09:44
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:15:26 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Cc: TomWij@g.o
5
6 Please don't CC me, this causes duplicate mails; one of both does not
7 include reply-to. Nobody else that has responded to me did this before.
8
9 Unless you can give me an awesome procmail rule to process these... :)
10
11 > I don't know what is the state of your system when testing this but on
12 > my system /sbin/telinit is a symlink to /sbin/init. So replacing
13 > the latter also replaces telinit with something unexpected.
14
15 I did something like `mv /sbin/init{,.bak} ; mv systemd /sbin/init`
16
17 > Of course, the solution is to make telinit point to the real sysvinit
18 > executable. Not sure how well it will reboot then, however. It may be
19 > necessary to also change 'halt' to use 'telinit' if it uses 'init'
20 > directly.
21
22 Currently I use `systemctl reboot` and `systemctl poweroff`, I
23 actually have no idea how to make telinit work again with systemd.
24
25 > > # /etc/init.d/ntpd start
26 > > ntpd | * WARNING: ntpd is already starting
27 > > # /etc/init.d/ntpd stop
28 > > ntpd | * ERROR: ntpd stopped by something else
29 >
30 > I think we fixed this already... well, not exactly this because openrc
31 > used to try to actually start stuff. I would consider this a
32 > regression since it had explanatory error messages.
33
34 The stop error is reasonable I think, the start error is indeed odd.
37 With kind regards,
38
39 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
40 Gentoo Developer
41
42 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
43 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
44 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D