From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 00:37:21
1 On 10/04/2017 01:59, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 04/09/2017 07:15 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >>
4 >> If the package failed, all that would need to be done kinda like now is
5 >> a given variable modified in the ebuild. Just marking what ever it did
6 >> not work with. As mentioned that could be done via my
7 >> ebuild-batcher[1], though same functionality is easily replicated.
10 > How do you plan to test a thousand packages against the new version of
11 > python, and then revision/stabilize all of the broken ones
12 > immediately? Or is the plan to just break everyone's systems, and ask
13 > them to report bugs for the things that stopped working?
14 python 3.5.0 was released on 2015-09-13 and is still marked unstable and
15 until recently was unusable because there were too many missing packages
16 marked ready for it, stabilization isn't that faster right now.
17 Most of the breakage would be caught when recompiling (bytecode) of a
18 package stable or not and even when not caught it would trigger only
19 eselecting an unstable dev-lang/python if testing all python packages is
20 required to stabilize dev-lang/python (which is kinda the current
21 situation).
22
23 Python is slotted, that would also help a lot at keeping the breakage
24 unobtrusive *
25 * Provided portage is never broken by a dev-lang/python update, but
26 that's easy to test.
30 > I think what you will actually get as a result is that nobody will
31 > ever add a new version of python to the tree, because you've just made
32 > it a huge ordeal to do so.
33 >
34 I do respectfully disagree with this sentence.