From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 23:59:39
1 On 04/09/2017 07:15 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 >
3 > If the package failed, all that would need to be done kinda like now is
4 > a given variable modified in the ebuild. Just marking what ever it did
5 > not work with. As mentioned that could be done via my
6 > ebuild-batcher[1], though same functionality is easily replicated.
9 How do you plan to test a thousand packages against the new version of
10 python, and then revision/stabilize all of the broken ones immediately?
11 Or is the plan to just break everyone's systems, and ask them to report
12 bugs for the things that stopped working?
13
14 I think what you will actually get as a result is that nobody will ever
15 add a new version of python to the tree, because you've just made it a
16 huge ordeal to do so.