From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 00:58:36
1 On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 19:59:22 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > How do you plan to test a thousand packages against the new version
5 > of python, and then revision/stabilize all of the broken ones
6 > immediately? Or is the plan to just break everyone's systems, and ask
7 > them to report bugs for the things that stopped working?
8
9 If packages have tests, running those is one way. If they do not, and
10 its say a library. Long as other packages that use the library
11 build/run against it then it should be ok. It would get trickier for
12 things lacking tests.
13
14 Breaking already occurs now but in the form of breaking updates and
15 causing users to fiddle with the targets.
16
17 I am NOT talking about stabilization at all. Simple reducing the burden
18 of adding targets to ebuild, and users having to fiddle with targets as
19 they come and go.
20
21 > I think what you will actually get as a result is that nobody will
22 > ever add a new version of python to the tree, because you've just
23 > made it a huge ordeal to do so.
24
25 This is actually the opposite. To add a new version as is right now.
26 You have to edit every Python or Ruby ebuild. Otherwise they cannot use
27 that new version. There is tremendous work as is now. Not to mention a
28 really bad end user experience.
29
30 This would considerable reduce the workload. Not to mention making life
31 better for end users.
34 William L. Thomson Jr.