From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:57:55
1 On 04/09/2017 08:58 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 >
3 > I am NOT talking about stabilization at all. Simple reducing the burden
4 > of adding targets to ebuild, and users having to fiddle with targets as
5 > they come and go.
8 You are: when you find out that a stable package doesn't work with the
9 next version of python, you have to figure out who the maintainer of
10 that package is, and file a bug. Then, whenever he decides to fix it,
11 you have to wait 30 days and file a stabilization request. Wait another
12 few months for that to go through, and repeat however many times to fix
13 every broken package.
14
15 You can either spend months/years doing that for all affected packages
16 and every new version of python, or just commit the new version of
17 python and let things break. Neither option is an improvement over the
18 way things work now.
19
20 We have it your way for PHP packages, and I wish it was like Python/Ruby
21 instead.