From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Usage of econf with an additional || die
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:48:19
1 Jeremy Olexa schrieb:
2 > Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >
4 >> So, can we have a nice little table of which functions die by themselves
5 >> and which ones need || die added in ebuilds? Please?
6 >>
7 >> Thanks,
10 > A quick grep of /usr/lib/portage/bin clues you in that every function
11 > that is an external file does *not* die by itself. So, emake, do*, etc..
12 >
13 > %% grep -c die * |grep -v ":0"
14 > ebuild.sh:61
15 > etc-update:14
16 > isolated-functions.sh:18
17 > misc-functions.sh:26
18 > repoman:2
19 >
20 > I believe this is because you can have those functions in a subshell and
21 > then die won't behave predictably. I'm sure some PM people will correct
22 > me if I am wrong. ;)
23 >
24 > -Jeremy
28 From my knowledge and experience with sunrise:
29
30 some functions that dont need "|| die":
31 epatch, econf, eqmake3, eqmake4
32
33 some functions that need "|| die":
34 emake, do*
35
36 Afaik die wont work in a subshell independent of how it is called, so the die from econf wont work,
37 but also the "emake || die" one would also not work.
40 Thomas Sachau
41
42 Gentoo Linux Developer