From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge with interacitve use
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:09:48
1 Hi Panard,
2
3 How about adding a little functionality to the script so it keeps which
4 USE vars the user chooses in a file like
5 /var/db/pkg/app-editors/vim-6.1-r21/USECUSTOM (that would be for vim :)?
6 I have checked the USE files but they all contain the complete $USE
7 variable when the package was emerged. So maybe if you add the
8 functionality so it adds a USECUSTOM file containing the USE vars the
9 user has chosen interactively then you could have an option at the
10 beginning of the interactive command asking:
11
12 "Use previous USE flags for this package? (X gtk etc..) [Y/n]"
13
14 If the user says Y, then you would extract the USE flags from USECUSTOM
15 and use those.
16
17 Also you could have a commandline option such as --usecustom or
18 something like that, so if the user calls emerge-interactive with that
19 flag it skips all questions and uses the previously kept USE flags.
20
21 Of course this would only work if you only used emerge-interactive
22 since emerge doesnt create any USECUSTOM files :) But I don't think this
23 is a big problem. In any case if emerge-interactive doesn't find any
24 CUSTOMFILE then it asks the users for USE flags just like now.
25
26 This solves the scalibility problem and gives the user best of both
27 worlds. What do you think?
28
29 Regards.
30 --