From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default src_install for EAPI-2 or following EAPI
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:41:04
1 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> posted
2 gbc5v2$50d$1@×××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 24 Sep 2008 02:34:33
3 +0100:
4
5 > "Why do we never have time to do it right, but always plenty of time to
6 > do it over."
7
8 > In this case, you're saying "oh anyone who wants something that copes
9 > with all filenames can do their own." IOW to do it right, we'll have to
10 > do it over, further down the line.
11
12 It seems to me, we're building a lib function. As such, we can take the
13 time to do it right, now, and won't have to worry about it again. Asking
14 someone to code their own solution if it's doing the same thing but with
15 "complex" filenames is asking for trouble. We already have designs for a
16 good wheel and are now discussing asking people to design their own. Why?
17
18 If we do it right in the default function, particularly since it can be
19 called /as/ a default function in an expanded version if necessary,
20 there's one less place to make brain-dead mistakes like that missing
21 double-quote.
22
23 That said, as always, I'm quite aware I'm not the one actually
24 implementing it, so I'm not going to throw stones regardless of how it's
25 implemented. I just know if I ever decide to take that step to Gentoo
26 devhood, or even just for my own ebuilds, it's sure be nice to not even
27 have to worry about whether there's spaces or weird chars in the name,
28 period.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman