From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Default src_install for EAPI-2 or following EAPI
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 01:43:24
1 Thomas Sachau wrote:
2
3 > Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
4 >> And I still don't see why we would need the most general solution for
5 >> a *default* function. There's always the possibility to write your own
6 >> src_install() for the few ebuilds that need it.
7 >>
8 > I aggree with Ulrich in this case.
9
10 As I said; generality in lib functions seems like a useful thing. There's a
11 quote I read from what is imo a classic computing text[1] (from the 70s,
12 never seen it referenced in any papers or anything):
13
14 "Why do we never have time to do it right,
15 but always plenty of time to do it over."
16
17 > if emake DESTDIR="${D} install || einstall ; then
18 missing " Don't those braces make it tricky.. ;p
19
20 > Any more comments? Good? Bad? Interested?
21
22 Given that we're okay relying on BASH, I don't think we should be scared to
23 use BASH effectively. Gentoo ebuild.sh should be a shining example of how
24 BASH is done, after eight years, not something that makes #bash folk laugh.
25
26 (I know this to be true, as when I started learning BASH, I tried dropping a
27 few of the lines in the channel to find out what was going on. It amazes me
28 that #bash is not mentioned in any of the Gentoo developer documentation,
29 afaict.)
30
31 In this case, you're saying "oh anyone who wants something that copes with
32 all filenames can do their own." IOW to do it right, we'll have to do it
33 over, further down the line.
34
35 BASH includes the facilities to do it right, as part of its design.
36
37 [1] "Program Style, Design, Efficiency, Debugging and Testing" van Tessel
38 (Prentice-Hall, 1974)