From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council manifesto of sping
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:50:55
Arun,

On 07/02/10 16:23, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> The problem is not noise. The problem is that an issue that needs to > be escalated to Devrel could not be resolved by the involved > developers or the people who were present at the time. Moreover, there > are strong emotions from the devs (and often their friends too), and > people will end up saying things that they may eventually regret. > > Dragging this out in public /will/ polarise the community, result in > more public conflict, very likely without a complete picture of the > story on both sides being available. Devrel's purpose is to avoid > this, and I believe this does work (we can debate their efficacy or > how things can improve, but saying it doesn't work is unfair, IMO). I > don't see how your proposal would deal with this fallout.
I think we're mixing up a few things by now: - What cases should be handled in public, which shouldn't - Does DevRel work effectively or not - The special case of banning people All I want to say right here is that: - Not everything needs to be handle loudly and public (if I made that impression) - I do believe in need for fundamental changes on DevRel (as introduced in a another thread earlier) For the rest I propose to take this offline. Best, Sebastian