From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] Official support for migrating ebuilds out of games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 09:11:11
1 On 06/30/2016 05:24 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Our ebuilds are maintained by developers, with the occasional
4 >> proxy-maintainer or contributor. Your previous statement combined with
5 >> this amounts to "QA owns and manages the Gentoo repository." You just
6 >> said teams have no autonomy over their own ebuilds, which naturally
7 >> extends to individual developers lacking autonomy for their ebuilds, as
8 >> well.
9 >
10 > QA has authority over the Gentoo repository, but their scope for
11 > exercising this authority is relatively narrow. Ultimately we expect
12 > them to police themselves, but if they become a problem any developer
13 > can appeal to the Council. For the most part the policies they
14 > enforce have either been the sorts of things almost anybody would
15 > agree with, or they're Council decisions.
16 >
17 > If the Council decides on a policy, then QA is completely within their
18 > rights to take action to enforce that policy. If somebody wants to
19 > appeal they can, but of course they're going to be appealing to the
20 > Council that set the policy. That is by design. The whole point of
21 > the Council is to have some way to reach a "final" decision when there
22 > isn't consensus. Of course, Councils can change their mind, but in
23 > practice this has been rare.
24 >
25 >> But ripping out the
26 >> eclass is a "solution" that creates more problems than it solves.
27 >
28 > Trust me, this wasn't something the Council undertook lightly.
32 >> I expect to be told that use case is poor or irrelevant. Who decides
33 >> which use cases are valid and what qualifies them to make those claims?
34 >
35 > Ultimately the Council, by sole virtue of election. It isn't perfect,
36 > but it is a process that has a form of accountability and it at least
37 > is capable of yielding a final decision. On a lot of issues either A
38 > or B is better than endlessly bickering between them. Of course, the
39 > Gentoo way is to support choice and if somebody comes up with a good
40 > way to push the decision into the hands of the end user then we can
41 > just argue over the most sane default. No matter how you slice it,
42 > there will always be decisions that people disagree over.
43 >
44 > Personally, I don't really buy into the SSD use case. It isn't that I
45 > don't agree with the virtues of SSDs, but the most straightforward
46 > solution to this is to stick / and /usr on the SSD so that all
47 > applications benefit from this. An entire Gentoo install is only a
48 > few GB worth of binaries/libraries/etc and it is probably a lot more
49 > straightforward to indiscriminately put these on the SSD than to pick
50 > and choose. Plus, your system will boot a LOT faster. This is what I
51 > do - basically / is on an SSD and then I mount stuff on top from hard
52 > drives when I need space.
53
54 I'm not sure the SSD-for-games-only is the most effective solution
55 either, but there are plenty of use cases that I disagree with that tend
56 to get by without issue. Are / or /usr on SSD the proposed solution for
57 someone who's aiming for the speed boost?
60 > In an earlier email you mentioned that this wasn't a big concern for
61 > you personally but you were concerned for our end users. One bit of
62 > advice that I'll offer is that if this is the case, let them speak for
63 > themselves. Speaking personally, I'm interested in feedback from
64 > anybody I get it from. However, when somebody comes to the Council
65 > with an argument like "somebody, somewhere, might disagree" and nobody
66 > is actually saying "this affects me" then it probably won't get a lot
67 > of weight.
68 >
69 > Ultimately, though, you're going to have to trust the judgment of the
70 > council. Or, whether you trust it or not, you will ultimately have to
71 > abide by it for anything you do using your commit access.
72
73 How are we certain that users will speak up for their cause when it's
74 lacking support? Don't we risk alienating people without considering use
75 cases? I understand where you're coming from wrt council decisions. I've
76 corrected that and started a thread on gentoo-user that will give us
77 some insight to how many users' use cases were affected by this decision
78 and which use cases they were. Then we can either set a goal to make
79 that use case possible, or give quality advice or write good
80 documentation for that use case.
81
82 >> And how is a QA group taken seriously if they don't address breakage
83 >> that they introduce? Is QA not held to a standard at all? Is it a set of
84 >> arbitrary rules laid down from this separate project that nobody else
85 >> can examine or call for re-examination?
86 >
87 > QA is enforcing a Council policy. Whether something is considered
88 > breakage ultimately is up to the Council. Who is on the Council is of
89 > course up to all of us. While I don't advise turning an election into
90 > a referendum on one particular decision I certainly encourage
91 > developers to be selecting Council members based upon their ability to
92 > strike an appropriate balance here. The Council's ability to dictate
93 > tree-wide policies like these are probably the area where it has the
94 > biggest impact on developers being able to scratch their itches. So,
95 > this stuff is really important.
96 >
97 > The Council also confirms the lead of QA. And of course there is the
98 > ability to appeal. There are of course issues with any human-run
99 > organization but I struggle to think of conflicts the QA team has had
100 > with developers which weren't addressed by the QA lead or the team.
101 > Certainly I don't recall actually getting any actual appeals (for QA,
102 > and in my time on the Council I've only seen one Comrel appeal). I
103 > don't want to get into Comrel but the principle is the same with that
104 > organization, just with a different scope of operations.
105 >
106 >> This games.eclass decision breaks use cases, supplies no replacement or
107 >> forward-facing route for users, and is being swept under the rug as
108 >> quickly as possible.
109 >
110 > There is no intent to stifle discussion. You're welcome to state your
111 > opinion. The Council can always reverse the decision, or the next
112 > Council can do so. I personally consider either unlikely, but Gentoo
113 > is never compelled to jump off a cliff because of a past mistake.
114 > However, at this point this is a fairly established decision, so while
115 > you can discuss, this isn't considered something on-hold for debate.
116 > That could change if a majority of the Council decides to issue a
117 > stay/etc, but certainly I'm not calling for one based on what I've
118 > heard so far.
119 >
120 > Ultimately I feel one of the key purposes of the Council is to remove
121 > obstacles to progress by making calls when they need to be made. A
122 > call has been made, and there cannot be obstacles for those
123 > implementing the decision.
124 >
125 >> Those are weasel words. It was QA's decision to bring the topic to the
126 >> Council, was it not? And it had a vested interest in a favorable ruling
127 >> by the Council, no? If the answer to both is "yes", then QA was just as
128 >> responsible bringing the decision to fruition as the council itself. The
129 >> council doesn't make decisions on its own based on what I've read; they
130 >> make decisions when options or challenges are brought to them.
131 >> Therefore, people who make the most noise get heard and from the looks
132 >> of it, their way as well.
133 >
134 > The Council is not bound to the options presented to it, and Council
135 > members can propose Council agenda items the same as anybody else
136 > (we're developers too!). Speaking personally I certainly try to think
137 > of our developers and users as a whole, and I'm confident my peers
138 > tend to do so as well. We don't always agree, but I've never had
139 > occasion to question anybody's motives.
140 >
141 > Sure, we're more likely to take up a topic that somebody is
142 > complaining about than one that nobody is complaining about. And of
143 > course we're going to tend to judge dissatisfaction by opposition.
144 > However, we don't pull up the 100-email debate and count the number of
145 > posts on each side. Ultimately we're going to tend to use our
146 > judgment, which is what we're supposed to be selected for (and really,
147 > what else can we do?). Persuasive arguments will of course tend to
148 > persuade, but this shouldn't be viewed as a bug.
149 >
150 > In this case I can assure you that people were frustrated that it took
151 > as long as it did to end up with a decision, and it largely was
152 > because we recognized the controversy. There were multiple rounds of
153 > meetings and numerous opportunities to provide feedback. Ultimately,
154 > however, providing feedback does not guarantee any particular result.
155 >
156 >> In short, QA pushed the decision onto the council, the council ruled in
157 >> favor of QA, so now QA gets to deal with the fallout of their decision.
158 >> If the QA team doesn't want that, perhaps they should handle breaking
159 >> changes better. Or elect better leadership.
160 >
161 > QA isn't forcing anybody to do anything. They put out a call for
162 > help. People can choose to answer it or not at their discretion. The
163 > Council didn't attempt to force anybody to do anything for precisely
164 > the reasons you state. We made a decision to clear the way, but
165 > ultimately the people that are most bothered by the eclass will
166 > probably be the ones to implement the decisions. As long as nobody
167 > interferes with them, it can take however long it needs to take.
168
169 So, agenda gets pushed to council -> council votes in favor of motion ->
170 QA acts on council decision -> decisions empower them to prohibit
171 blocking them -> somehow this is not forcing. The last jump in logic is
172 questionable to me.
173
174 > FOSS ultimately comes down to "patches welcome." If it bothers you
175 > that much, go fix it. The Council can get the roadblocks out of your
176 > way, but the ultimate test of your resolve is whether you're willing
177 > to put in the work. Anybody can put out an appeal for volunteers. I
178 > know some have complained that removing the games eclass has taken as
179 > long as it has, and ultimately it comes down to willingness to put in
180 > the work. If the eclass doesn't bother you, then by all means sit
181 > back and let others take care of it.
182 >
183 Patches *wouldn't* be welcome in this case, however. The patch in
184 question would change default games.eclass variables to standard Gentoo
185 paths. I know with certainty it wouldn't be accepted or welcomed. And
186 with that knowledge, what would motivate me (or someone else, like
187 someone with a relevant use case) to work toward getting that done? It
188 would end up relegated to an overlay.
189
190 There's nothing wrong with that, technically speaking, but it belies the
191 story of "Patches welcome, everyone can contribute."
192
193 Ignoring the use cases of others ensures that one day my use case will
194 be on the stake. I wouldn't have worked toward becoming a developer if I
195 was apathetic.
196
197 ---
198
199 To all other points, thanks for clarifying the operating structure of
200 Gentoo. I'm going to wait on my gentoo-user survey to give us some
201 concrete results to work with; be they in favor of games.eclass or
202 apathetic. It will at least reflect reality.
203 --
204 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
205 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
206 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6