From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] Official support for migrating ebuilds out of games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:49:55
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 5:10 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not sure the SSD-for-games-only is the most effective solution
4 > either, but there are plenty of use cases that I disagree with that tend
5 > to get by without issue. Are / or /usr on SSD the proposed solution for
6 > someone who's aiming for the speed boost?
9 Well, that's certainly what I would do. But, you can ask the games
10 team if they have a better idea, or feel free to join it.
13 > How are we certain that users will speak up for their cause when it's
14 > lacking support? Don't we risk alienating people without considering use
15 > cases?
16
17 I specifically said that the Council is NOT limited to considering
18 only the use cases that come up in the discussion.
19
20 Obviously we consider every use case that people suggest or that we
21 think up. We probably don't consider use cases that nobody has come
22 up with.
23
24 In any case, if you come up with a good reason not to move forward
25 with the decision and the Council agrees with you, I'm sure the
26 decision would be changed.
27
28 The fact is that ANY decision can turn out to be a bad one in
29 retrospect. That isn't a reason to never make a decision. If you can
30 think of a good reason why we're wrong, I'm sure we're going to be
31 interested (or more likely the next Council will be). However,
32 decisions that were made months ago after lengthy discussion don't get
33 on hold because somebody /might/ come up with another argument (so far
34 you've only advanced the SSD concern, and I don't see anybody biting
35 on that one).
36
37 > I understand where you're coming from wrt council decisions. I've
38 > corrected that and started a thread on gentoo-user that will give us
39 > some insight to how many users' use cases were affected by this decision
40 > and which use cases they were. Then we can either set a goal to make
41 > that use case possible, or give quality advice or write good
42 > documentation for that use case.
43
44 If something important that wasn't considered comes up I'll certainly
45 listen if I'm on the Council, or argue for it if I'm not. However,
46 Gentoo is not obligated to sustain every possible edge case just
47 because somebody claims it is useful, even if that edge case happened
48 to be supported in the past.
49
50 I'm skeptical that something will come up that hasn't been thought of
51 already, but it isn't like any of us have some kind of personal hate
52 for the eclass. If something important comes up we'll think about it.
55 > So, agenda gets pushed to council -> council votes in favor of motion ->
56 > QA acts on council decision -> decisions empower them to prohibit
57 > blocking them -> somehow this is not forcing. The last jump in logic is
58 > questionable to me.
61 Nobody is forcing anybody to DO anything. Nobody is forced to go
62 around editing ebuilds to remove the eclass.
63
64 Now, we ARE forcing people to NOT DO things. If somebody removes the
65 games eclass from an ebuild you're forbidden to add it back. You're
66 forbidden to port the eclass to EAPI6. And so on.
67
68 I'm not pretending that the Council decision isn't binding. That's
69 the whole point of having the Council. If every decision were made on
70 unanimous consensus we wouldn't need one. Obviously it isn't the
71 outcome we want but if people do oppose Council decisions they're
72 subject to QA/Comrel actions including temporary or permanent commit
73 access removal, and their ultimate appeal is to the Council they
74 opposed. Democracy isn't anarchy.
75
76 > Patches *wouldn't* be welcome in this case, however. The patch in
77 > question would change default games.eclass variables to standard Gentoo
78 > paths. I know with certainty it wouldn't be accepted or welcomed. And
79 > with that knowledge, what would motivate me (or someone else, like
80 > someone with a relevant use case) to work toward getting that done? It
81 > would end up relegated to an overlay.
82
83 Patches to remove games.eclass from ebuilds would be welcome, and that
84 was my point. The reason it is still around is that nobody has done
85 the work to get rid of it yet.
86
87 And if you want to suggest a better way, feel free. If you want to
88 try to resurrect the games team, please do so. Heaven only knows we
89 tried to get devs to revitalize it numerous times in the last year.
90
91 I don't know if the Council would accept a games eclass that was a
92 no-op by default but which exposed functionality to users via
93 environment variables. I'd be interested into a discussion of the
94 pros/cons if you're volunteering to do the work to make it happen.
95 I'd be inclined to continue the policy that it is up to maintainers to
96 decide whether they're going to use it, otherwise we'll have endless
97 debates as to whether ktuberling or c-intercal fall under "games" or
98 not. Something more generic and Gentoo Prefix-like might make it into
99 PMS and even become mandatory (and indeed Prefix is already a
100 potential solution which is fairly well-supported).
101
102 > Ignoring the use cases of others ensures that one day my use case will
103 > be on the stake. I wouldn't have worked toward becoming a developer if I
104 > was apathetic.
105
106 Gentoo has never claimed to offer a solution for every possible use
107 case, and every distro has its pros and cons. I think Gentoo goes a
108 lot further than most distros to accommodate use cases. If you
109 thought this debate was bad, you should go read the reaction when the
110 decision was made that not having /usr mounted during early boot was
111 not considered supported (though multiple mechanisms to get it mounted
112 during early boot exist). Decisions like these don't mean that we
113 actively go out looking for ways to make our users lives miserable,
114 but it does mean that when somebody's bluetooth keyboard doesn't work
115 in single user mode we can WONTFIX them if they're not mounting /usr
116 early.
117
118 In any case, I think we'll get further looking for some way to move
119 forward than look backwards. If you come up with a use case you
120 consider important, let's see if we can come up with a good way to
121 deal with it that is more sustainable. You were the one to first
122 suggest looking at something like Prefix for a solution to your SSD
123 use case, and there is probably something to work with there.
124 Personally I think it is probably easier to just stick everything that
125 isn't huge on an SSD than to pick and choose package categories, but
126 you could of course run your games in a prefix, or something
127 prefix-like, or even in a container (though that might be less ideal
128 unless you're sticking X11 and everything else in there too, at which
129 point you might as well just stick your root on an SSD).
130
131 I understand where you're coming from. There have been times at the
132 past where a package was being treecleaned and I'd tend to go on a
133 crusade to rescue it because somebody might still want to use it. The
134 reality is that such reprieves tend to be temporary at best, unless
135 somebody who is genuinely interested in investing in the package is
136 willing to put the time in. We want to help our users because we care
137 about them, but in the end if their itches aren't our own itches it
138 tends to fizzle out sooner or later. Sometimes a use case gets
139 dropped not because it is a bad one, but simply because nobody cares
140 enough to make it work. Instead, time gets put into maintaining other
141 things that are more interesting. Java isn't in a pitiful state in
142 Gentoo because we all want to see it fail, it simply is the case that
143 most of us aren't interested enough to make it otherwise. All it
144 takes to turn Gentoo into a Java paradise is a few really eager
145 volunteers to step in and make it so. On the other hand, there are
146 other projects where Gentoo could probably be held up as a model
147 distro.
148
149 If you manage to drum up more interest in games and more active
150 contributions, I think that would be a good thing.
153 Rich