From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual -- virtual/go to fix go build time dependencies
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 21:30:14
1 On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 16:25:54 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 03/02/2017 04:06 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> I agree with this ^ but I don't think portage should rebuild for
6 > >> DEPEND at all. It creates one more dangerous "it works in
7 > >> portage!" situation that will plague users of other package
8 > >> managers.
9 > >>
10 > >> (I'm not saying it couldn't be useful, but it should go in the
11 > >> next EAPI if we're gonna do it.)
12 > >
13 > > PMS doesn't specify when rebuilds are supposed to be triggered. You
14 > > can consider the rebuilds as a means to satisfy the dependencies.
15 > > Saying that the package manager should not make an effort to satisfy
16 > > dependencies would be silly.
17 >
18 > It doesn't violate the PMS to do the extra rebuilds, but the PMS also
19 > doesn't say that they should happen.
20 >
21 > Hypothetical situation: a developer notices that Go packages need to
22 > be rebuilt when the compiler changes, so he adds subslot operators to
23 > DEPEND and everything looks fine. Until someone with a different
24 > package manager tries to use it, that is; the rebuilds aren't
25 > triggered unless you're using portage.
26
27 The point is to specify dependencies declaratively. A dependency
28 expresses a dependency, not an action. If you can't express the kind of
29 dependency you need, then we need either labels or another *DEPEND
30 variable to take care of it, not a bodge.
33 Ciaran McCreesh